With Spring season here, it’s hard not to notice all the greenery and super blooms that have been flourishing throughout all of Southern California. This salad is my favorite “green” salad – refreshing, tangy, crunchy and light. The vinaigrette used for this salad combines fresh lemon juice, red wine and apple cider vinegar which compliments the ingredients. This salad is perfect paired with a crisp flavor profiled chardonnay. Oohh la la la!
INGREDIENTS (makes 4-6 medium servings)
- 2 organic bulbs of fennel
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 stalk of celery – will use 6 ribs from the stalk
- 1 package of pea sprouts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt&pepper to taste
- Wash & Chop – wash produce, dry thoroughly.
- Fennel – This recipe taught me how to appreciate and use fennel. There are three parts to fennel 1) the bulb, 2) the stalks, 3) the fronds. Trim off the stalks and the fronds until you are left with the bulb. In this recipe, you will use the bulb and the stalks. Use this helpful website with pictures to learn how to chop. You’ll thank me.
- Granny apples -Chop apple into four equal pieces and slice into semi-thin pieces. Set aside.
- Celery ribs – Slice into semi-thin pieces. Set aside.
- Pea sprouts – Slice into half. Set aside.
- Toss & Taste
- Mix sliced produce and vinaigrette mixture together.
- Add salt&pepper to taste.
- Wait & Refrigerate & Serve
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill. Serve with some toast and a glass of your preferred white wine.