With November here, my palate is excited to embrace the tastes and colors of Autumn: green, ruby, brown, orange; and tastes: spiced sausage, wild grains, tart cherries, crunchy nuts. This salad encompasses all of that and a little more! It is a comforting salad with a few surprises: tart dried cherries, crunchy pistachios and a classic vinaigrette. Not only does it look and taste festive but it’s forgiving on the calories!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 8-10 bowls)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 head of radicchio – chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachio (shelled)
- 1/2 cup tart dried cherries
- Chopped greens + herbs – I use cilantro, arugula and spinach
- Sausage or any protein of choice – sliced and cooked. For this dish I specifically like Trader Joe’s chicken sausage (no nitrates, no added msg). I go for the apple chardonnay for this recipe.
- 6 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the wild rice: I manually cook rice in a pot. Cooking rice in a pot takes some practice especially if you want your rice cooked to a particular texture (for example, I prefer my rice slightly al dente and not too wet or mushy). Alternately, of course you can always use a rice cooker. Set cooked rice aside to cool.
- Protein: Cook your desired protein: spiced sausage or tofu or chicken, etc. Set aside.
- Greens: Chop your greens + herbs + radicchio . Set aside.
- Gather wild rice, greens + herbs + radicchio in a large bowl.
- Add in vinaigrette mixture and toss well.
- Top if off with selected protein or just have the salad on its own.