When the weather is warm, I crave cold, colorful and crispy salads. I believe you can make anything a “salad” and that’s why when I’m pressed for time or want something in bulk I always try to figure out a salad version of a dish. This salad has an Asian flavor profile. It highlights crispy napa and purple cabbage, edamame, cilantro, carrots and green onions atop oodles of noodles. It’s flavored with a sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, coconut sugar and soy sauce dressing. Then, finally it’s topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and roasted peanuts.
INGREDIENTS (servings 4-6)
- 1 head of napa cabbage – Initially, I use half the head; add more as you wish.
- 1 head of purple cabbage – Initially, I use half the head; add more as you wish.
- 1 bag frozen edamame
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 bunch of green onion
- 1 bag shredded carrots – Initially, I use half the bag; add more as you wish.
- 1/2 package of spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
DRESSING (always adjust to liking)
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Boil pasta and drain. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Wash and julienne veggies: cilantro, green onion, napa cabbage, purple cabbage. Then, set aside.
- Briefly blanch edamame. Then, set aside.
- Mix dressing. Then, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, first add veggies then dressing and mix.
- Lastly, add noodles and mix again.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.
Serve & Plate
Plate the noodle salad and finish it off with a sprinkle of peanuts and sesame seeds. Enjoy!